Saturday, November 20, 2010

Visiting Manhattan with Inky!

A November Afternoon

On Thursday, November 18th, Inky had to go into Manhattan for a Nutcracker rehearsal, and I decided to go with her. While she was rehearsing, I walked around Central Park a bit, taking in the sights and sounds of Manhattan - the crazy cab drivers, the adorable little dogs on leashes, the hustle and bustle of the approaching holiday season.

We planned on meeting on the steps of the Koch Theatre - where the NYC Ballet performs - and there we settled to talk about our day. Inky told me about her ballet rehearsal and how excited she is about being a polichinelle in the upcoming Nutcracker performance. Hearing her talk excitedly about ballet made me long for dear Maman and my twin sister Juliette.

Maman was an esteemed ballerina who performed many times at the Opéra de Paris (now the Palais Garnier) and even at the Lincoln Center here in New York. When she met Papa, Maman started teaching ballet at a private school in Paris. Of course, Juliette lives for ballet just as Maman does, and while I literally cannot dance a step, I've come to appreciate it myself. I guess I take after Papa!

A November Afternoon

So I was very thrilled to see the Lincoln Center and stand in the same place that Maman did in her youth. I had Inky take a few pictures of me, so perhaps I will send a few copies to Maman and Juliette in my next letter home? I'm sure they'd love that!

I was also thrilled when Inky lent me her fabulous Liberty Jane outfit for the day. Isn't it lovely? It reminds me so much of the wardrobe I left back in Paris. I forgot what it was like to dress so classy, so élégant et à la mode.


A November Afternoon

Inky and I ended the afternoon in Manhattan at the New York Philharmonic. We wandered around a bit, hoping to spot someone famous (or perhaps a time machine to go back in the past and see Maman?) before heading home on the subway.

A November Afternoon

Pourquoi est-ce que j'ai une envie subite à danser? Pourquoi est-ce que je manque la vie métropolitaine maintenant? Pourquoi est-ce que je manque mes parents et ma soeur maintenant?

Why do I have a sudden urge to dance? Why do I miss the metropolitan life right now? Why do I miss my parents and my sister now?

New York, je t'aime, mais j'ai déjà la mal du pays parce que tu me rappelles de Paris...où ma famille habite.

New York, I love you, but I am already homesick because you remind me of Paris...where my family lives.

...c'est bizarre parce que je n'ai pas la mal du pays normalement! It's weird because I'm not normally homesick!

~Sophie

6 comments:

Emily said...

Hey Sophie,
I'm jealous that you're in New York. My biggest dream is to go there. It looks like you had a lot of fun. It is hard to be away from home, but try not to worry about it too much.

You look beautiful in that outfit!
Emily

Claire said...

Lucky you for being in Manhattan (my favorite place in the world)! My aunt and one of her best friends lives there.

The Valdez Quintuplets said...

Aww, there's a kind of sad, far away look on your face in these pictures. I can't imagine being so far from my sisters, for so long!
- Violet

Sabine Aurore Bouchard said...

Salut, Sophie!
I'd love to go to NY. The human gets to go in the spring, but as usual, I don't get to go. I think I get to go with her to the new AG store in VA, though.
Cute outfit! Sandrine is hopelessly jealous. She loves short skirts, fitted jackets, and boots. The only skirt I wear is the black flounce one. I definitely prefer pants, stylish tops, and heels. There are still some things I needed shipped over here, but most of my wardrobe is here.
Lille me manque. I miss my friends, Père, and my brother Sebastien, not so much Mère, though. We have a mutual lack of understanding for each other.
-Sabine

Hodel Enye Yanovic said...

Aww... Poor Sophie! Feeling homesick is never fun, especially when you aren't used to it. It's the only thing I don't like about being away from home.

But you are very lucky to be in Manhattan! It's so pretty there! Try to enjoy such a happy place with such wonderful people.

-Hodel

Tabby said...

Thursday November 18th???? THAT"s MY BIRTHDAY!! November 18th!! i am having my birthday party on thanksgiving, but i get my presents then also, so i guess that's my birthday this year!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...