Monday, March 21, 2011

Beach Day.

Salut!

On Saturday, after stopping for a Starbucks iced coffee in Howard Beach, I went for a stroll along the beach at Jacob Riis Park in Rockaway, Queens. Named for the NYC journalist/photographer who captured photos of poor and working class families, the beach features a lovely Art Deco bathhouse that has been around since 1932. As of 1972, the park and its bathhouse have been been owned by the National Park Service.

It is known as "The People's Beach," likely in homage to the idea that it was originally designed for the poor, working class immigrants.

I spent my time strolling the shore and thinking about the times my family has ventured down to the beach. I think one of the last times was when my parents took Juliette and me down to the Côte d'Azur to celebrate our tenth birthday. We met our dear friend Élodie down there, and well, there was some drama involved. But, alas, that's a story for another time!




Also, I finally decided to set up a Facebook fan page, just for the heck of it. You can 'Like' me HERE, if you want.

~Sophie

4 comments:

Colette said...

Sophie! I just clicked on your link to the Wikipedia page of Howard Beach. The very Starbucks we went to is in the photo of Cross Bay Boulevard!

I'm glad you enjoyed the beach. :)

Linnea said...

Sophie! I'd love to have you come visit me - it would be so fun to finally meet you!

It looks like you are having so much fun in New York!

Julien Hérvagault said...

Hi, Sophie! I'm sure you've heard of me. :)
Anyway, beautiful pictures! I would die to be on the beach right now! <3
Lilly

Naia said...

That beach looks so pretty, you look like you had a lot of fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...